The New Bedford Marine Commerce Terminal is a multi-purpose facility designed to support the construction, assembly, and deployment of offshore wind projects, as well as handle bulk, break-bulk, container shipping and large specialty marine cargo. The first of its kind in North America, the terminal has been engineered to sustain mobile crane and storage loads that rival the highest load-bearing ports in the nation.
By land, the terminal may be accessed via Interstate 1-95 or I-495 (via connections through New Bedford Route 18 and MA Route 140 and/or Route I-195). The terminal is also located in close proximity to the federal offshore wind energy areas along the East Coast.
The New Bedford Marine Commerce Terminal’s high capacity quayside is supported by a complex system of cofferdams, a pile-supported marginal wharf and geotechnically-competent, dense aggregate that allows for heavy uniform and concentrated loads.
Whereas many ports have a small quayside area specifically designated as the single hard point, over 21 acres of the New Bedford Marine Commerce Terminal’s main terminal site has the ability to sustain uniform loads of 4,100 pounds per square foot (20 metric tons per square meter) and concentrated loads of up to 20,485 pounds per square foot (100 metric tons per square meter). This loading capacity allows for cranes of all sizes to be mobile throughout the site, increasing the efficiency of the work and providing logistical flexibility. The terminal is capable of supporting a 1,350 metric ton crane lifting a 500 metric ton load at 30 meters along the entire 1,000-foot (305-meter) new bulkhead and throughout the more than 21-acre main facility.
- 26-acre facility with a 1,200-foot quayside and a new 300-foot wide navigational channel dredged to -30 feet MLLW
- Free of overhead restrictions
- Work and security level lighting allow for around-the-clock activities within the Designated Port Area
- Ship-to-shore power outlets along the bulkhead
- Expandable electrical system, including a 3,000 amp, 480/277V, 3 phase, 4 wire system
- Fire protection, potable water and waste water disposal capabilities
- State-of-the-art vega sector lights installed along the hurricane barrier to enhance vessel navigation
- To use or lease the terminal, please go to New Bedford Marine Commerce Terminal